Thursday, January 24, 2019

MATERNITY AND NURSING CLOTHES - 2018




















INTRODUCTION

Over the past few months I have been in the process of slowly making and moderating clothes for maternity and nursing.  Here below are some pictures and brief explanations of what I have done so far.  It is still a learning process and I am guessing I will need to make a few moderations once the baby comes and I actually get used to nursing and understand more fully what is needed and comfortable.  Yet, I figure that this way I at least have something to work with. 😊


FIRST MATERNITY/NURSING DRESS FROM SCRATCH

(Full front view)

 (Hidden nursing zippers)

(I added material and buttons to the back because 
I cut the material wrong.  
Most of my sewing is learnt through trial and error)


DRESS TWO FROM SCRATCH

(Full Front View)

 (Hidden Nursing Zippers)


 (Basic Back view...  I cut the material right this time 
and didn't have to add extra fabric and buttons. 😉


FIRST ALTERED MATERNITY/NURSING DRESS

 (Full Front View)
(I purchased this dress from a thrift store along with 
the shirt I used to make the alterations.  I added the neckline, 
lengthened the sleeves and added the nursing zippers.)

 (Back View)
(I aligned the buttons with the zipper in the back 
so it would be easy to get on and off.)

(Nursing Zippers)


SECOND ALTERED MATERNITY/NURSING DRESS

 (Full Front View)
(Once again I bought this dress and the shirt for the additions from a thrift store.  I added the length to the sleeves, the neckline 
and put in the nursing zippers in the front.)

(Full Back View)
(I took out the zipper in this dress and raised it higher 
to fit in the altered neckline.)


THIRD ALTERED MATERNITY/NURSING DRESS

 (Full Front View)
(This dress was a gift from a close friend of mine.  
Originally, it was a simple black dress.  I added the pink sleeves, neckline, and waistband.  I also sewed on the white lace 
to lengthen it and cover the nursing zippers.)


 ALTERED MATERNITY DRESS 1
 (This dress was a given to me by the aforementioned friend.  
I merely added a little length on the sleeves and the bottom 
since when you are pregnant the length of everything 
seems to shorten a bit with the belly bump.  
I decided not to alter it for nursing but keep it as 
a basic dress for my pregnancies.  It is super comfortable!)


ALTERED MATERNITY DRESS 2

(Back View)
(This dress was also from my friend.  It had a slit in the back and the shirt I had to go with it put too much pressure on the belly.  So, I cut off the bottom of the shirt and sewed it into the slit.  Then I added a lace trim on the bottom to tie it all together.)

 (Front View)


MATERNITY DRESS 1 MADE FROM SHIRT AND SKIRT 

 (This shirt originally was almost too short to wear normally.  The skirt had an elastic/tie that quickly made it too tight to wear when pregnant.  So, I took out the waist of the skirt and sewed it to the shirt to make it into a pregnancy dress.  Having buttons down the front also allows it to work for nursing.)


MATERNITY DRESS 2 MADE FROM SHIRT AND SKIRT 

(I did the same thing for this dress as mentioned with the above skirt and shirt, except that the shirt was rather long.  
So, I cut off the excess portion of the shirt to make it the proper length to sew to the skirt to make it into a maternity dress.)





2 comments:

  1. Ahhh! All of these dresses are so beautifully done! Seriously, Rita, these are works of art. You must consider making some to sell or at least making some tutorials on how to make these - I firmly believe that many women would benefit from them!

    I love the feminine colors you chose - all the purples and pinks are so gorgeous!!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,

      I am not sure if I have nerve/courage to sell or make online tutorials at this point (maybe one day though!). I have taught people in person though, made skirts and dresses for people, and modesty adjustments. Though I have been paid for some of my work, most people seem to want free clothes. So, I tend to use my free time to make them skirts,dresses and such as birthday or Christmas presents. 😊

      It is funny... Most of my learning about sewing has been through trial and error. So, I generally don't even know how to begin explaining what I do or how I have done it. 😋

      Anyhow, maybe one day! Thanks for the encouragement! 😁

      God bless! 😇

      Rita

      Delete